Sunday, March 21, 2010

Project Update

I don't have a planned ending to this project, I guess I will keep working on it until I get distracted by something else or run out of table/storage room.

Either way, here is my progress so far. The empty bases represent the lead I already have purchased and is waiting to be painted.

Here is my first Union Brigade, I need to paint up the last regiment and base them (With the Brigade Commander), dull coat everything, and add flags.

Next is the second Union Brigade, as you can see I still have a lot of work to do on this and will need to buy some more figs too. Front to back will be the Brigade Commander, an Infantry Regiment, Cavalry Regiment, the same Regiment dismounted and finally the back row will be the horse holders.

It was difficult to only pick out 9 of the dismounted Union Cavalry from the Sash and Saber lot because they were some of the best figures I've seen by them. But I wanted to equal the same amount of figures (12) as the mounted version. (9 Dismounted + 3 holding 12 total horses.)
I will probably add 2-3 more Infantry Regiments to this Brigade.

Up next, the Confederates! The first brigade is nearing completion. Nothing to really write about. I am considering basing the partially painted Regiment the same as the Union Regiment in the long grass.

And finally the second Confederate Brigade, at this point just the one Infantry Regiment and the Brigade Commander. I am considering providing the Rebels some Cavalry to counter those Yanks, but I'm not convinced the effort is worth it, since I like to paint the dismounted versions as well. Not to mention the time consumed painting all of the horses twice!

I think I am going to have to quit procrastinating here pretty soon and start working on flags. There's just something appealing about the ACW flags that really look great on the table. I thought that if I left them until I had a bunch to do it would be easier but now it's looking like a daunting task!

Any requests for Regiments or flags to be represented shoot me a comment or e-mail. At this point I don't have any picked out.

Plugging away..

Slowly but surely I'm making progress. Here's a few more completed.

Uruk-hai Berserker

What? Something other then ACW???
I know that I've been on a huge ACW kick lately but I actually do paint and play some other things. Lately I've been playing a fair amount of GW's LoTR with my Uncle Luke- no relation, just an honorary title. I've bought a few blisters recently and I painted up a Berserker today.

Nothing too difficult on this, a quick base coat and then a dry brush for highlights. If you take out the dry time between colors its only a few minutes. My painting standard for Lotr is pretty low, a worthy sacrifice to have all painted armies on the table. Nothing irks me more then playing with a shiny metal or all black sprayed army. The basing on these is unusual, kind of a mountain of Mordor/ lava theme.. not really fitting for Uruk-hai, but it ties them all together and looks pretty cool.

Saturday, March 20, 2010

Future wargamer

Well I've been a little absent lately, thing is my wife and I just announced this month that we are having our first child and so things have been a little crazy!

Now I'm dreaming of having someone to play toy soldiers with! (or someone to build a dollhouse and miniature furniture for!)

Saturday, March 13, 2010

US Officer

Here's the Union counterpart to my last post, he will command the Brigade I am working on.

Of course it still needs based and dull coated, but I've found it's a lot easier to paint up a whole lot and then start a production line to get them all based. Plus I can get a more consistant basing doing a large amount at once.

Thanks for looking.

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Confederate Officer

I took a break from the grind of painting whole regiments to paint one of the officers I just got in the mail. This is from the Sash and Saber pack "Mounted Federal General Officers" but he got recruited to serve the South! I am really happy with how he turned out and he will look great commanding a Brigade.

I changed things up a little bit with the horse, I started with black, then a basecoat of GW's Scorched Brown, and then starting a pallette of cheap brown paint and kept lightening it. I am really pleased with it but I am anxious to improve this technique and also get some good quality paint in tubes or bottles rather then in pots so that I can mix different shades easier.

Here is my "to-paint" pile.

I ordered these on a Thursday night, and when I got home from work on the following Monday I was pleasantly suprised to find them sitting on my counter! I have nothing but good things to say about my experiences with Sash and Saber.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...