Saturday, April 4, 2009

Union Victory!

Well after three days, thirteen hours, and 12 turns of playing-- the Union edge out the Confederates for a 13-12 win!

I attempted to write up an update after day two's fighting, but I had a little bit of ADD and forgot..

Day Two:
We actually grabbed three other guys to command sections and it made the movement go a lot quicker. I am not able to upload the pictures from my phone, there seems to be a software mix up between it and my computer. So I will have to try to describe the battle instead. Apologies!

The Union left continued to crumble under the onslaught of Confederate cavalry as they caught them in the open and massacred them. I failed to realize that I would have been protected from a cavalry charge if I would have stayed in the woodline, so I moved them a few inches out into the open- BIG MISTAKE! But such is learning a new system. Although I have to give credit to Alan for using them perfectly.

The middle slowly advanced across the open field while my massed artillery softened the Confederate line as they frantically dig field works in anticipation of the assault.

My infantry horde on the right continued to advance over the river towards the weak rebel flank.

So day two was pretty uneventful other then the cavalry assault as the Yankees advanced and the Rebels prepared for the big attack.


Day Three:
With a lack of guys willing to push around lead, I took the entire Union army and Rick controlled the Confederates.

Day three began with a massive assault on the right. The defending Southerners put up a valiant fight, counter charging and breaking a few Union regiments before being routed and destroyed. The right center held a little bit better, but was beginning to crumble as we called the game.

The center turned out to be very interesting as the Confederates got out from behind their field works and charged the Union regiments just before they were able to begin their assault. With the "Rebel Yell" special rule, a few of the Union regiments broke with fear as Johnny Reb came charging at them with a roar!

We did not play the left side of the board because we were waiting for Alan to finish his Warhammer Fantasy tournament, and he did not cooporate by losing. So it was never completed, but we gave an educated guess as to how it would have progressed and scored off of that.

At the end of turn 12, the Union left was broken and wheeled around, the center was pretty evenly matched , and the Confederates had been routed on the right. But the Union had destroyed one more regiment then the Confederates and so were awarded a minor victory!

This was extremely enjoyable and I look forward to doing it again in a few months. Hopefully with the first "The Lost Cause" battle scenario- based on the first battle of Bull Run, or Manassas.

Thanks to Rick and Petshop comics and to all who played.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...